Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Junior Hates the Dentist

I had another one of my monthly Invisalign checkups today, which was a good news/bad news kinda thing. Turns out my teeth are just as stubborn and unwilling to compromise as the rest of me, and I will have to have a mid-track adjustment. What does this mean? It means that I have to have new impressions taken, and new sets of trays made for the duration of my treatment (6 months+). While this is technically bad news, it means that I get to spend a few weeks without the trays or the annoying little things soldered on my teeth (huzzah!), plus it extends my treatment time so Junior’s arrival won’t mess things up as badly. So I rewarded myself with Goodberry’s, although I am officially submitting a caramel-wet walnut-marshmallow sundae as Something You Definitely Should Not Eat While Driving, along with nachos bellgrande and soup.

In continued good news, the rocker/glider arrived and OH. MAH. GOD. Wait til you see the color. I was a wee bit worried because in the online pics the cushion color was, well, a tad bit brighter shade of pink than I really wanted. But the description said ‘Light Pink’, so I trusted it. I couldn’t have got it any closer to the nursery wall color if I had tried. It’s perfect. It’s beyond perfect. I actually giggled aloud with glee when I opened the box. I’ve still got to put it together, but it’s basically just attaching the back and arms and cushions, so it will be a snap. And the nice neighbor kid is coming in a few minutes to break down and haul away the fort of boxes and styrofoam that I have built in the garage so that I don’t have to deal with that (hey, there are some problems I have learned that are just really super convenient to throw money at, plus I’m helping out a very helpful and polite high schooler, who hopefully will not use the pittance I give him to buy crystal meth at my neighborhood club house since that’s apparently what the kids are doing nowadays).

In yet more good news I had my yearly review today, which went extremely well, especially considering I’ve only been in the role three months. I got a bit of a raise that I wasn’t really expecting, so glory hallelujah and praise daycare. Now Junior won’t be beaten and starved quite as much. Junior, who, by the way, was not at all impressed by the dentist’s office for whatever reason and made quite a show if it by trying to kick through my abdomen. I can only assume my heart rate increased or something lame and science-y like that, and she was trying to say, ‘Hey, mum, calm the heck down, I’m trying to enjoy a pleasant amniotic cocktail in here!’. My dentist and the assistant were thrilled with the news, and the assistant instantly confided that she’d been trying IUI unsuccessfully for three years, while my dentist informed me she was a single mom of a 6-year old boy. I love the stories that come out of people when I share that I did it myself. Either there really aren’t that many women who do it, or they’re just not as crazy about talking about it to the whole world as I am. Whatever the case, everyone at my dentist’s office is all abuzz, and the assistant looks at me like I invented gravity. I, of course, am a very gracious and un-smug martyr.

In sad news (but it was technically yesterday), I started to make my infamous chocolate fudge layer cake with seedless raspberry filling, but when I went to frost it I didn't have enough confectioner's sugar. I almost sat on the floor and wept. Of course it was like 10 pm so I didn't want to go out to the store, and I should not have been planning to eat chocolate cake at 10 pm anyhow, so I waited to go to the store today. So, more good news - chocolate cake for dinner, complete with icing!

No comments: