Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Junior Better Not be Picky

Did you know that the supposed number of portions per gallon of Eddy’s Rocky Road ice cream is 14? FOURTEEN. I’ll be lucky if I get five servings out of the current carton. In addition to the gargantuan helping I’ve been tossing down each night, I add chocolate syrup, additional marshmallows, and whipped cream. Other people might consider this normal, but for a hard-core salt snacker, it’s very strange for me. I finally get why people go nuts for chocolate ice cream, because I want to rub it all over myself. That seems to be the only thing out of the ordinary as far as my eating habits. I made one of my favorite summer dinners last night, Vegetarian Gumbo, substituting frozen corn and okra for the fresh I usually use. It was still delicious. And it tickled me a bit to add exposure to another food type to Junior. So far she’s had Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Cajun, Mexican, Seafood, Indian, and Canadian. I still need to throw in some German, and some time this week she’ll get Polish since I bought pierogis . And I’ve been thinking of making Chicken Paprikash with Spaetzel, which would cover Hungarian. Ooh, and I bought lamb to make these precious little dumplings that were in 'Living', so she’ll get some Greek. Uh, so obviously my appetite is returning, although I still can only eat little bits and it hurts me, like a gastric bypass patient.

Today for breakfast I tried the new Oat Cluster Cheerios Crunch, because I am a total sucker for anything new, especially with ‘Crunch’ in the title (my standing fave is Raisin Bran Crunch, and Kashi’s Go Lean Crunch is a close second). I guess it’s the crunch that makes it so tasty. Anyhow, it’s freaking delicious, and if you haven’t been back to Cheerios in a while like me, they’re a very pleasant heart-healthy whole-grain treat.

I also had a very lovely toasted crumpet with butter and strawberry-rhubarb jam, and a scalding cup of Lady Grey tea. Very British of me, I know. I was a little disappointed in the jam until I was able to pinpoint the funny taste – I realized that last night when I made the gumbo I used the garlic-dicing knife to cut a wedge of sautéing butter, and apparently rubbed garlic all over the place. So I had a lovely toasted crumpet with garlic butter and jam, which wasn’t as tasty as you’d think. Oh, and I had a handful of prunes, because that’s what I’ve been reduced to. So for someone who a year ago never, ever ate breakfast (except for the rare Burger King ham-egg-cheese croissandwich), I think I’m doing very well. And of course, I took my prenatal vitamin and a DHA supplement. And then keeled over because I was so full. I'm still at 8 lbs gained, which is exactly where I want to be for the halfway point, although with less weight-management-vomitting I need to watch the ice cream in the next few months. And get some damn exercise, sheesh!

No comments: