Friday, September 21, 2007

This Is Halloween

This is my Halloween costume. Well, the idea behind it, anyhow. It might not look very scary, but if you had seen the Dr. Who episode 'Blink'*, you would be peeing your pants right now. What you can't see in the photo is that the angel has fangs (already ordered), and, uh, well, there really isn't anything else scary about the outfit, but I'm hoping the crowd at the nerd party I'm going to will get it. And if not, who cares? I get to paint my entire body in grey body paint. And I've ordered the best wings (I went with latex rather than feathers, since I'm suppose to be a statue and I could get 'demon wings' in stone color; costume realism won over angel realism). I'm very excited. I'm going to go find the right fabric tomorrow, and I've already drawn out the pattern I want to use (a cross between a Greek paplos and a Roman stola). In my head it's very cool. We'll see what actually happens. I also tortured myself by looking at baby costumes - there's a little monkey that is SO CUTE I almost bought the pattern, but don't worry, still not that crazy. I keep thinking, 'What if I'm a mom next Halloween?' I won't have time (or energy, or money) for self-indulgent stuff like this. I think that's why I almost had a breakdown trying to find something cool this year. That, and I don't usually have an event to go to, and this year I'm driving to Virginia. I need a great outfit to snag a baby daddy.

*If you care, the terrifying 'crying angels' in the episode are really creatures who feed off potential energy (hard to explain) BUT they can only move when no one is looking at them. However, when unseen, they can move extremely fast (in the blink of an eye they will get you). I wasn't this scared watching 'Saw'.

No comments: