Thursday, January 11, 2007

FAS, Implantation, and Still Waiting

My worries today centered on an upcoming wedding in Myrtle Beach this weekend. I have developed a somewhat notorious reputation for my inspirational drinking records at weddings, and I suddenly clued in that this might not be a good think to do on Saturday 'just in case'. Those three little words now follow a lot of things; I shouldn't over-do the exercise routine, this Pepsi on my desk right now shouldn't be drunk, I better have some more leafy greens, I probably shouldn’t start a meth habit, all 'just in case'. I've only started trying like five minutes ago and chances are nothing has happened yet (unless I'm that 1/5, fingers crossed!), but, you know, I would rather be safe than sorry.
So this topic led to several discussions about FAS and fetal development and what was safe, when.
It appears that unless I’m a raging alcoholic, a drink or two won’t hurt, especially not at this stage. But do I want to take that chance? Is a delicious Dirty Martini, frosty Margarita, or icy Pinot Grigio really worth permanently disabling my future child? Don’t get me wrong, I understand the seriousness of this matter and am committed to being a good mother, but I just really, really like to drink, so it’s a struggle.
In addition to not really knowing anything other than old wives’ tales and back-alley myths about what could or could not hurt a fetus, I also learned that I had forgotten everything I learned in Sex Ed about fertilization; I forgot about the little Egg Journey that happens before implantation in The Garden of the Womb. It’s such a nice thought; the happy little fertilized egg strolling along the tube for a few days, tra-la-la!, deciding if it’s going to move into the uterus and hang out for nine months. Just think, that Egg is rolling along right now as I type, waving its good-byes, and maybe, just maybe picking out a place to stay for a while.

No comments: