Tuesday, April 1, 2008

'C' is for 'White Trash'

I went adventuring to the local groceteria Sunday evening. I didn’t have very high expectations since it was one of the local chains that usually fails to deliver, unless you are purposefully shopping for rancid meat and wilted produce. It’s the kind of place you only ever want to buy canned goods, and even then you better check for dents and dates. I figured since it was less than two miles from my house it would be a good only-in-case-of-emergency stop. You know, for like, milk.

They didn’t have milk.

Ok, to be fair, they had their store-brand milk, but they didn’t have anything less shady. Or, more specifically, anything less lactose-y. Maybe because it was a Sunday and they stock on Mondays? I dunno. So I was forced to buy some of their questionable bleach-and-hormone 2%. I hate milk in plastic, is that weird? I use plastic cups for EVERYTHING in my house, except milk. Yet the Lactaid is in a carton, which is technically coated in plastic and not much better. I make no sense at all.

On a positive white-trash-diet note, they DID have the cookies I’ve been looking for since becoming pregnant. Some backstory here…
In the olden times, when I was a tween before we even knew to call them that and we didn’t dress like prostitutes, I babysat for a farming family up the road. They raised cattle and corn and dirty cross-eyed children, five to be exact (children, not crossed eyes. You think I'm joking? It's sad to see a two-year old in an eye patch). So they didn’t have a lot of money for frills like store-bought clothing or fancy store-bought heat. Congealed bacon grease was considered a condiment. Honey-and-margarine sandwiches on Wonder bread were the healthy alternative to their all-beef diet. Anyhow, they always had these cheap cookies that, to a girl raised by hippie organic-food fanatics, were heavenly. Archway makes them here, apparently, but I’m sure it was another company when I was a kid in Northern Ontario. If you aren’t familiar with them, their signature cookie is the ‘Windmill’, but they also have a delectable raspberry-and-oat-ish soft chewy cookie that I, uh, just ate four of. Like I said, for no good reason I’ve been craving them and apparently the Food Lion across the street is just crappy enough to deliver. Eh, who needs clean milk?

1 comment:

Rector Funhouse said...

Loblaws here makes a high-end version of the windmill cookie called "Speculaas." We eat them every night.

http://www.presidentschoice.ca/FoodAndRecipes/GreatFood/ProductDetails.aspx/id/18388/name/PCSpectacularSpeculaasCookies/catid/179/language/english