Friday, April 11, 2008

I’m a Nerdy Girl and I’m OK

Today I spent a large portion of my time preparing for Junior’s arrival in a very special way. While other less gadget-inclined knocked-up women are busy making CDs or iPod playlists or, god forbid, mix tapes, I am loading up the ol’ family PSP. I realized that it was truly the ideal device for labor, other than the epidural pump – it can hold like a gazillion songs (and can either be on speaker or listened to through earphones, unlike an iPod), photos ('focal points'), plays some pretty nifty games, and, best of all, I installed Tivo Desktop and the converter program on my PC. So I can transfer recorded movies and TV shows to my handheld lover. Which is really, really sexy. I think I might actually go and buy a couple UMD movies, too, just to spoil myself. Do you think ‘Superbad’ is too inappropriate for L&D?

In fun and charitable household news, I donated a bunch more clothes, some appliances, and some furniture to the NC Children’s Hospital. They had left me a note last week that they were doing a pickup today, which was nice and easy, just the way I like my acts of charity (requiring little to no actual effort). The kindly man driving the truck, however, asked me how my snake problem was. SNAKE PROBLEM?! I thought I’d heard him wrong, but no, he said he’d heard from other people in the same neighborhood that the houses near water had problems with black snakes, copperheads, moccasins… and since I had the gulley in the backyard… I was incredulous. Then I laughed my head off, because, really, snake problem? That wasn’t in the real estate listing. I’d be my usual unconcerned self if not for the prospect of Junior, my poor Little Heifer, getting her tantalizingly tender veal-like flesh nipped by some sort of incredibly poisonous critter. Do fences keep out snakes? The gulley really is kind of sharply inclined, so they’d really have to work at getting up into my yard. No, seriously – snakes? Better than huge man-eating spiders, I say. Snakes I can deal with. A hoe makes very short work of one. But how ridiculous. Thank god I worry only about trifling matters.

Happy Friday, everyone. Tomorrow I finish emptying boxes out of the Dining Room and install some organizers in the Garage, then it’s off to beautify myself with a cut & color in preparation for my BABY SHOWER!!! next weekend.

No comments: