Monday, February 11, 2008

Mostly Good News

Well, last week’s Boston trip ended with a sold house and a souvenir viral infection/potential for pneumonia that kept me pretty much in bed most of the weekend and ended with me having to use an inhaler for the next week or so. Coach took me cruising neighborhoods yesterday afternoon when I had to be out of the house for the Open House (hey, might as well try for a back-up offer, right?), and was very patient with my pregnant/sick/backseat driver craziness. I was relieved to find some decent enough stuff in my price range that were in decent enough neighborhoods, so I’m hoping my agent and I will be able to nail down some dates to go look SINCE I ONLY HAVE A MONTH.

In other moving-and-Junior related news, I’ve decided to go ahead and transfer hospitals, which is nerve-wracking but I think will be good for the following reasons;

  • Rex was my first choice ever since they did such an awesome job sewing my head back together 12 years ago, plus most of my friends delivered there. I would’ve gone with them in the first place if I hadn’t been living in stupid Durham and was so worried about the distance.

  • Free parking. Hey, you laugh, but the parking at UNC is not only not free, it’s a nightmare. If a parking garage has to offer a sketchy unreliable shuttle service, it’s too damn far away from where you’re trying to get to. And since I’ll start going to appointments every 10 seconds as of the end of the month, the tragic inconvenience of UNC was weighing more and more heavily on me.

  • I’m not tied to any of the UNC docs other than Dr. Thorp, who likely wouldn’t deliver me anyhow, so who cares?

  • Rex is approximately one million times more convenient for all my visitors.

  • Uh, I just like it more and you’re not the boss of me.
  • The only downside I can see is that Rex doesn’t have the doula service that UNC offers, but I’ve got Coach and lots o’ other friends, so I’m not as worried about that. I’ll pay for one if I decide I just can’t cope. I probably need to find a different pediatrician as well, but I’m going to put that off because I really just adore my doctor. She rushed me in this morning when I showed up all pitiful on the doorstep without an appointment or a shower. Hey, at least I was wearing pants.

    THIS WEEK’S STATUS:
    House: SOLD! (supposedly); under contract pending the inspection Wednesday, still doing showings which is irritating but makes good business sense
    Junior: Doing ok despite the barrage of drugs and oxygen starvation
    Mental state: Weird. Tentatively relieved about the house sale but afraid to get excited; sad that Junior will never be in the pretty nursery and sad to have to leave, despite everything; scared of getting rushed into buying the wrong house, nervous about the move and the logistics of the closing and getting three of us out without too much chaos; panic-stricken about Loud not coming up with his share of the closing money and having to deal with that; stressed about packing; conflicted about the guys becoming my distant past in the near future
    Physical state: Pneumonia! As if! I’ve got a humidifier on, I’ve gone through 836 tissues in the last hour, the weird wheezing gasping exhale noises I make wake me up in the middle of the night because they sound like conversations, my body can’t make up its mind if it wants to have a fever or chills so just alternates between the two randomly, and I’m just really, really grateful it’s not the f-l-u.

    No comments: