Thursday, May 8, 2008

Working Girls

Well, not milk, yet, but at least, signs of colostrum. Huzzah!! My cute little pump arrived yesterday so I spent some quality time playing with The Girls last night. Uh, don’t read any further if you don’t want to hear a whole lot more information about my breasts. Sorry, that warning may have been a little late. Anyhow, I’m not quite coordinated enough yet to juggle doing two at once, but I did one at a time for about 20 minutes each AND STUFF CAME OUT!!! Like, the teensiest tiniest hint. But still. As most of you know, I had breast reduction surgery my senior year of college and I’ve been worrying pretty much daily about my ability to breastfeed ever since. This gave me an amazing amount of hope and reassurance. Put those girls to work!

I obviously did NOT, however, immediately go into labor, which is kinda secretly what I’d been hoping for. But it’s a start. And maybe it will help toughen up my nips prior to the Little Heifer being attached? I dunno. My next plan of attack is fenugreek. Used to increase milk production it also has been proven to stimulate uterine contractions. And, uh, I really really just love fenugreek, so if I smell like maple syrup it won’t bother me one bit. I refuse to do the castor oil thing because, ew. Pooing my pants for three days isn’t as nice a side effect as the smelling-like-maple-syrup thing. Step Three in my Secret Plan to Induce Labor Without Walking will be to get a pedicure some time this weekend – apparently there’s a magic spot somewhere around the heel that, when rubbed, will make a woman bark like a dog. No, wait, that’s from ‘Scrooged’. The magic spot rubbing will supposedly bring on contractions. Eh, even if it doesn’t work, pedicure! Rub my nasty scratchy heels, lady! Soak those swollen Fred Flinstone feet!

Yesterday was pretty awesome and tomorrow will be even better. I did end up going to the spa open house and it was pretty decent. They had some Dermalogica free samples which was very cool, and convinced me to spend a zillion dollars on additional must-have items, which was uncool, and I got not one but two mini-massages which was heaven after that night of back pain. My friend C. went with me, and since she likes to throw money at stuff to assuage her guilt ended up pre-paying for a pre-natal massage for me, scheduled for tomorrow afternoon. Which will ROCK. She feels bad because she’s out of town for the next two weeks and will miss out on Junior’s arrival, so I scored. Also, my handyman comes tomorrow to hang the breakfast nook lights and install the screen door, and it’s always pleasant to stand around and stare at him. And, uh, get things installed.

No comments: