Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Alistair No More - Introducing Junior

Remember how I said I was absolutely positive that I was having a boy? All that bunk about my theories, and the quizzes, etc.? The gorgeous blue baby blanket that I had started knitting?
As you have already probably guessed, I got a bit of a shock at Friday’s ultrasound appointment. The tech highlighted three little white lines and before she could even get the words out, I was already bawling. I was so happy that Junior’s Aunt J. was there to see it. I had been so darn certain that Alistair was an Alistair, it was a total shock – and while I knew that deep dn I really, really, really wanted a daughter (especially if this was most likely going to be my only one), it surprised me a little bit to realize just how excited I was about a girl. Think about it:

- Hand-me-downs from Cousin Amelia
- Able to accompany me in shady public bathrooms and change rooms despite her age without disapproving looks
- Ballet lessons
- Matching outfits (ok, that should probably actually fall under ‘Downsides’)
- Dollhouses, charm bracelets, Barbies, tea parties, dress-up, sleepovers
- Cooking together
- Mother-Daughter functions
- Shoes

There are also the downsides:

- Puberty
- Daddy issues
- Pregnancy worries until she’s 36
- Boys breaking her heart
- Did I mention puberty yet?

I just still can’t believe it. Another step on the road to ‘Making This Whole Thing More Real’. No more random, abstract ‘he’ thinking.

She.

My daughter.

1 comment:

marit said...

That picture is creepy. No dressing alike. Don't make me stage an intervention.