Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A Gay Sperm Walks Into a Bar

One of the single mother forums I'm on is abuzz lately about using gay sperm (begging the question, 'How can you tell the sperm is gay?'). Eager to type the words, 'gay sperm FDA' into Google, where as I learned this past weekend at a hacker conference the search would be stored and filed for all eternity, I learned that there really hasn't been much news on the topic since 2005. Too bad, because I would love a 'Legalize Gay Sperm!' bumper sticker for my car. I wasn't able to find anything new or noteworthy on the 1800's-style prohibition, but found it interesting that the women on the forum were sneaking around, lying to their doctors, and otherwise having to cover up the fact that their donor source was gay. I guess they were dressing the sperm in very macho outfits and drinking PBR with them.

I find the whole thing very fascinating, because we all know that straight boys are always safe and monogamous, while all gay men are slutty and sloppy. Well, let's leave Loud out of the equation for now, and I would have to argue that most of the 'mos I know are pretty darn faithful if in a relationship, and a heck of a lot more safe than the hets. So based on studies conducted in my living room and careful analysis of the 'down low' literature, I would argue that all donations should be handled and screened in the same way. Sperm equality, damnit. They're all just trying to get the job done.

No comments: