Wednesday, February 21, 2007

What Wait?

I have been having really weird dreams lately when I do sleep, which is erratically and in two-hour increments and with lots of tossing and turning and drooling and kicking off of the blankets. Part of one of last night’s nocturnal adventures was largely due to the incredible amount of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon I’ve been ingesting. I had this weird sensation of my arms being cut open and refilled with something green and gooey and toxic (I was probably sleeping on them, I do that a lot). The scariest one though was as follows;

I woke up (in the dream), in my own room and in my own bed, facing the window like I usually do (this new house is a bitch for morning light; I’m pretty sure the sun has been rising at about 4:30 am the past few mornings, and the birds have been swarming with their shrill piercing calls – I hate morning). Anyhow, I wake up and sleepily look out the window, and I can see an airplane (this may be because we are about 10 miles from the airport, and often hear the planes overhead, and maybe I was sleeping lightly enough to hear one go overhead). So in the dream I am watching the plane and thinking, ‘Hmm, that one is coming in a little low’. Next thing you know my radio alarm goes off (still in the dream), and there’s an air traffic message about how backed up flights are for landing and how there’s going to be a problem. Watching out the window, I see about half a dozen planes back-to-back start trying to land, but they’re too low and crowding each other, and they start to crash. I’m starting to freak out, but it seems so unreal that I can’t react, and I think they’re far enough away still, until one crashes and explodes and flaming debris starts to hit the house. I start to run out of the house, but realize it’s end-of-month invoicing day at work and I can’t take time off for anything, so I wake myself up. The end. I hate work more than mornings.

I also had a dream where I was fighting with my sister, but that’s pretty routine. The point is, I am not thinking about whether or not I am pregnant.

2 comments:

Rector Funhouse said...

Ha! I have dreams that I'm fighting with my sister, too. When will that end?

Interesting that subconciously, a whole generation will be afraid of planes now, in a way that their parents never were. I have a recurring dream now about being in a tall building downtown or on a rooftop and watching huge tsunami waves come in and getting higher but thinking I'm safe and then realizing that the water is actually getting even higher and the next wave is going to sweep me off the building.

Why do we have such scary dreams?? is it an outlet for stress?

Your morning could be worse - you could be waking up in the dark, with a snowstorm outside!

marit said...

I had a dream I was at my parent's house (the old one) and a plane took off the roof of the house. Strangly, both you and your sister were there and I was the only one who was worried- couldn't get anyone to leave the house as the plane came in... Planes are scary!